So, today was supposed to feature the installation of a “rain garden” of fruit and perennial edibles in my front yard. It’s been raining off and on for a week – with snow at the beginning – so event was cancelled due to mud. The plants did not arrive today as I expected, so I will be potting up the bareroot shrubs till I can arrange a better time. The garlic, chives, strawberry and new baby lettuces and radishes are loving it; it would have been better to have dug the depression a couple weeks ago during the day while I was free so I could have harvested some of this water, but oh well. It rather illustrates the point! I’ve heard someone with two 1500-gallon tanks under their deck has already filled up just from this week of surprise drizzles.
- May 2 – Garden rehab eval for my sister
- Immediate – Canada thistle control
- May 3 – re-employed!
- Week of May 3 – try to dig raingarden myself in stages, as all future weekends have been claimed!
- May 8 – In Sioux Falls teaching mushroom cultivation for the Glacial Lakes Permaculture PDC
- May 15 – Wool Picking Party in Harvey, ND, and a wedding in Wilton
- May 17 – Site Assessment exercise for prospective community garden/demo site, 5:30 pm – handouts to be developed
- May 20 – Mushroom cultivation for Bismarck State College’s Continuing Education program – sign up here! They need a minimum of 8 to run the course, so if you’re interested everyone else already signed up encourages you to check it out!
- May 25 – Urban Harvest Book Club, “Independence Days” by Sharon Astyk – glorious book! There is so much information here. She covers not just how to put up food, but how to ensure you get it eaten as well – my biggest problem.
- Early June – plant warm weather garden crops
- TBD June – Sheet Mulch Installation Demo in Mandan, focusing on strange fruits
- July 15 – Speaking on composting/vermicompost for Urban Harvest Wellness Hour
- TBD June or July – tour of Craig Stange’s raingardens and no-till gardens
- Late August – ND State Horticulture Society Annual Conference in Devil’s Lake
- Late September – hopefully I can make it out to the North Country Fiber Fair in Watertown, SD again. I’ve missed a lot of the recent fiber fairs due to schedule conflicts.
And of course:
- Aug 2012 – NAFEX Annual Conference in Saskatchewan!
- Aug 2012 – NDSHS Annual Conference in Bismarck!
I LOVE having a lot of time to plan.