Sunny Day Triloom Baby Blanket

This one has been in my head for quite a while, so I’m happy it turned out as well as I had planned.

From Crafts

The triangles created on a tri-loom are kinda-sorta equilateral, as each side has the same number of stitches usable for seaming. Therefore you can technically seam the hypotenuse to a shorter side and have the ends match, but the shorter side does tend to bunch up and throw off the fabric’s texture.

With this project I wanted to experiment with ways of tiling the plane other than the simple squares used in my past two triloom blankets. Using the same base of sixteen triangles in each color, I started by laying eight yellow tris with long sides radiating out from a shared center point, to form a sun shape with tiny tiny rays; then added pairs of white tris to the short sides to be clouds. I should have laid the remaining yellow tris in the opening with a great deal of tri protruding past the white cloud area, and used extra white yarn to fill in the gaps with a scalloped cloudy edge; but I had pieced this on carpet, which allowed me to stretch the tris and have them stay stretched. With the resulting irregular shapes I was able to make the outer yellow rays fit into one coherent edge, but after seaming the whole blanket did retract and ripple.  As I was able to make the center lay flat and push all of the ripples to the outer edge, for a while there this almost became the Non-Euclidean Universe Baby Blanket of Seemingly-Parallel Lines. Gladly, the edging and backing did provide enough weight to help the final product to lay flat.

The yarn is good ol’ WASHABLE Yarn Bee Lambkins Baby Boucle from my stash, repurposed from a hat project after I gave up on ever seeing stitches on a hook size less than J. The gauge was perfect for the triloom, however, giving a nice sturdy fabric that won’t be catching on things and pulling out of shape.

This is the first blanket of its sort that I’ve backed, as even after washing the seams were just ick:

From Crafts

In this case with a light-yellow check flannel that echoes the woven structure of the fabric above it. Next time I’m using fleece though, as the hand-hemming of the backing added a lot to the already disproportionate weaving-time-to-finishing-time ratio of these triloom projects. The edging is one row of sc on the front side with a few spots of dc and tc to make a scalloped cloud edge, one row of sc working in the back loop only to allow for a nice crisp fold, then two more rows of sc to finish it out. I did run out of white perhaps ten inches shy of the end.

The face was surface-chain-stitched on, but not as nicely as it could be as I had already basted the backing on before I realized the stitch required the yarn coming from the back of the fabric and had to fudge it. It’s still nice enough though.

I had contemplated adding birdies to each of the cloud sections, but the colors I had lying around just didn’t seem to match; and would probably have been extra tempting to chew upon.

From Crafts
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s